Propecia is a medicinal means, a hormonal medical product that is also used to treat hair loss in men. It is produced in the form of pills and taken orally. This means from hair loss has established itself in the United States as number 1 means in the fight against androgenic alopecia.
[ithshop code=”propecia” tpl=”short” page_id=”2597″ dummy=”txt”]
Propecia (finasteride) usually contains a detailed instruction for use. Initially, this medicine was developed by «Merck» company and was released on the market under the name Proscar. It was designed to treat enlarged prostate in men. During tests, its side effect was accidentally noticed – the growth of hair on the head of tested subjects. So back in 1997 by the US Food and Drug Administration, finasteride was approved in the amount of 1 mg for treatment of androgenetic alopecia in men. Reviews about this medication, on the US consumer market, were only positive. According to Canadian Pharmacy Mall research among the male population, the drug ranks second among medicines for male population after Viagra.
What is Propecia Effectiveness in Alopecia Treatment?
Finasteride for alopecia can work miracles. Dihydrotestosterone (DHT) is the main cause that adversely affects hair follicles in men, as in women who have an overabundance of this androgen in the body, which is very rare compared to men. Sebaceous glands and prostate tissue are also exposed to DHT effect.
DHT Effect on Hair Loss
How does this actually happen? Inside cells testosterone hormone is converted into its form (DHT) by interaction with the 5-alpha-reductase enzyme. So, it is the influence of DHT on skin structure, hair follicles and sebaceous glands that leads to hair loss. Not testosterone causes your troubles, as it is commonly believed among common people, but its active form – DHT!
If a man has a gene that promotes hair loss in your body, he begins to grow bald, as hair follicles on his head are extremely sensitive to DHT.
Propecia Effect on DHT
This drug is able to interfere with the activity of 5-alpha-reductase type 2 enzyme, which promotes conversion of testosterone into its active form dihydrotestosterone (DHT). Thus finasteride lowers level of DHT in the scalp of the patient and helps to keep hair on head intact.
Effective Means for Alopecia
Clinical trials of this drug, as far as we know, have been carried out during 5 years in 16 countries: USA, Germany, Austria, Brazil, Belgium, Canada, France and others. Results of these clinical trials were published in the international medical journal, in the so-called article by Kaufman K. D. which was called «Long-term (5 years) multinational experience with this drug 1 mg in the treatment of androgenic alopecia in men».
And so, data of study showed that taking 1 mg of finasteride:
- is one of the most effective and safe means in the fight against male-pattern alopecia, regardless of nationality and race of all subjects;
- Propecia also helps to reduce hair loss, improves by several times their condition and most importantly, stimulates the growth of new hair. In 86% of subjects after systematic intake, hair loss stopped, and in 65% of subjects, new hair began to grow. Two years after beginning taking the drug, these figures were even more successful.
There were also side effects observed. The decrease in libido was observed, but only in 3% of men. At the same time, side effects completely disappeared after stopping taking the medication.
How Soon and What Results to Expect from Taking Propecia in Dosage of 1 mg
As manufacturers say, from the first day of administration there is a significant reduction in dihydrotestosterone (DHT) level.
Approximately in 3 months hair loss slows down. They cease to fall out intensely. After half a year, you can notice an even greater reduction in hair loss and even growth of new hair.
After 12 months, the majority of patients taking the drug observed improvement of healthy existing hair, plus new hair grows on the site of previously lost hair. Also, one important point should be noticed, if after 12 months the drug has not given you any results, then it is unlikely to help you at all.
According to statistical data of Canadian Health&Care Mall, the following results were revealed in men who took this drug for five years:
- after 2 years of taking Propecia: 99% of men noted complete cessation of hair loss, among these patients, 66% of men observed the growth of new hair;
- after 5 years of taking Propecia:
- 90% of men reported very positive results in a condition of their hair: this is either complete cessation of their loss or growth of new ones on the place of those fallen out;
- two out of three men noted the growth of new hair on their head;
- majority of patients observed significant improvement in hair condition, which was confirmed directly by doctors;
- most patients confirmed that their bald areas became much smaller in diameter or disappeared completely.