Amoxicillin dosage and instructions for use are compulsory to follow, otherwise one may experience side effects and adverse reactions.
[ithshop code=”amoxicillin” tpl=”short” page_id=”2258″ dummy=”txt”]
How to Use Amoxicillin?
- The minimum course of treatment with this antibiotic should make five days. The biggest mistake of some patients is to discontinue Amoxicillin use after a few days of treatment. Some patients make hasty conclusions about recovery after two or three days of treatment and decide to stop taking the medicine. If an antibiotic is prescribed and taken correctly, the first positive results can occur within several days after the start of the therapy. Meanwhile, only after five days or more, you may be sure of total victory over bacteria. At the same time, the exact course of treatment should be chosen by the doctor. The duration of treatment with antibacterial drugs makes from five days to two weeks or even more. Only a doctor should decide how much time exactly you need to take this generic drug;
- The pills should be taken twice a day at regular intervals. During treatment with antibiotics, you can’t skip the next dose because the effectiveness of the drug is significantly reduced in this case. The concentration of drug in the blood falls, and bacteria which have already started to yield to amoxicillin, continue to multiply at a double speed, ready for the next dose of the drug which is already familiar to them;
- The tablets should be taken after meals. Compliance with this rule influences tolerability of the drug. Taking of the drug on an empty stomach causes irritation of the stomach walls. Therefore, patients should not rush. We advise taking the pill after breakfast in the morning and after dinner in the evening.
Canadian Pharmacy Mall sells four available doses of Amoxicillin: 250 mg, 500 mg, 650 mg, 1000 mg.
Special Dosage Instructions
- Treatment of infections: 500 mg 3 times a day; in severe infections – 750 mg – 1 g 3 times a day;
- The recommended dosage: Adults and children over 10 (with a body weight over 40 kg) take 500 mg 3 times a day; in severe infections – 750 mg – 1 g 3 times a day. Generally, such therapy is recommended for 2-3 days after symptoms disappear. In the case of infections caused by β-hemolytic streptococcus, the complete eradication of the pathogen requires treatment with this antibiotic for at least 10 days; Parenteral therapy is indicated in case of impossibility of the oral intake and in the treatment of severe infections.
- Amoxicillin dosage for adults (including elderly patients): The normal dose ranges from 750 mg to 3 g per day. In some cases, it is recommended to restrict the dose to 1500 mg per day in divided doses.
- A short course of therapy: Uncomplicated urinary tract infections: take 3 g of the drug twice a day at the interval of 10-12 hours between doses.
- Children’s dosage (under 12 years of age): The daily dosage for children is 25 – 50 mg/ kg/day in divided doses (up to 60 mg/kg/day), depending on the indication and the severity of the disease. Children with weight mass more than 40 kg should receive an adult dosage. Children under 6 years of age can use more soft release form – a suspension.
- Dosage in renal failure: Patients with severe renal insufficiency should receive the reduced dosage of the antibiotic. In renal clearance less than 30 ml/min, it is recommended to increase the interval between doses or decrease subsequent drug doses. In renal insufficiency, short courses of the therapy are contraindicated. For the prevention of endocarditis in patients not under general anesthesia, 3 grams of the drug is administered 1 hour before surgery and, if necessary, an additional 3 g every 6 hours.
- Children’s recommended dosage: 50 mg/kg.
- Special dosage recommendations: Tonsillitis – 50 mg / kg / day.
- Impaired liver function: Dosage adjustment is not required.
- Elderly patients: Dosage adjustment is not required in proper kidney functioning.
For more information and descriptions of patients’ categories, contact your local official guidelines.
If you exceed the dosage recommended by the doctor:
If the number of tablets that you received per day exceeds the amount recommended by your doctor or your child has swallowed the capsules, contact your doctor or call an ambulance! Discontinue medication intake! Overdose may be manifested through nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, water, and electrolyte balance disturbances. Patients with the impaired renal function may develop seizures due to extra high doses. Control blood pressure and heart rate. The first aid implies gastric lavage and antacids therapy.
If you forgot to take the pill in proper time:
Take the capsule as soon as remember about the missed dose. Make sure you have the next dose time period. If you have little time before the next dose, take Amoxicillin in accordance with your doctor’s advice. Do not take a double dose in the case of missing the dose.
Generally, Canadian Amoxicillin does not cause any acute toxic side effects even at high doses. Overdose symptoms may include gastrointestinal disorders, violation of water-electrolyte balance. Patients with severe renal failure may experience intensified side effects when taking high doses – the overdose may be accompanied by signs of nephrotoxicity and crystalluria.
There is no specific antidote. Overdose treatment includes administration of activated charcoal (usually there are no indications for lavage) or symptomatic measures. Particular attention should be given to water and electrolyte balance. Use of hemodialysis is possible.