Side effects of Amoxicillin are usually rare, as the drug belongs to the medications, which are generally well tolerated.
Common side effects:
- nausea, vomiting, dizziness;
- redness, blistering;
- breathing problems;
- stomach pain, diarrhea;
- swelling of the face, lips, or tongue;
- vaginal itching or discharge;
- skin rash, itching, hives
[ithshop code=”amoxicillin” tpl=”short” page_id=”2258″ dummy=”txt”]
Canadian Pharmacy Mal classifies all side effects as follows:
- Frequent: 10% or less, but more than 1%;
- Not frequent: 1% or less, but more than 0.1%;
- Rare: 0.1% or less, but more than 0.01%;
- Very rare: 0.01% or less.
The average probability of adverse effects is less than 5%.
Side effects of Amoxicillin in more detail
- Not frequently – Prolonged and repeated use of this antibiotic can lead to superinfection and colonization by resistant bacteria or fungi, for example, oral and vaginal candidiasis, violations of the blood and lymphatic system;
- Rarely – Eosinophilia and hemolytic anemia;
- Very rarely – Registered isolated cases of leukopenia, granulocytopenia, thrombocytopenia, pancytopenia, anemia, myelosuppression, agranulocytosis, prolonged bleeding. All changes were reversible with the help of therapy.
Violations of the immune system:
- Rarely – Laryngeal edema, serum sickness, allergic vasculitis, anaphylaxis and anaphylactic shock in rare cases, neurological disorders;
- Very rarely – Hyperkinesia, dizziness, and convulsions. Seizures may occur in patients with renal insufficiency or in patients receiving high doses of Amoxicillin.
- Frequent – The feeling of discomfort, nausea, loss of appetite, vomiting, flatulence, soft stools, diarrhea, dry mouth, violation of taste perception, pseudomembranous colitis. As a rule, these effects are characterized as mild and often disappear with continued treatment with this antibiotic or very soon after the therapy termination. To reduce the frequency of these complications, you may take the drug after meals;
- Very rarely – Black colored tongue.
Violations of the liver and biliary system:
- Not Frequently – A transient moderate increase of liver enzymes, rare cases of hepatitis and cholestatic jaundice.
Skin violations and subcutaneous fat violations:
- Frequently – Skin adverse reactions such as exanthema, itching, urticaria. The typical morbilliform exanthema occurs 5 – 11 days after therapy. Immediate development of urticaria indicates an allergic reaction to Amoxicillin and requires discontinuation of therapy;
- Rarely – Angioedema (angioneurotic edema), exudative erythema multiforme, acute generalized pustular rash, Stevens-Johnson syndrome, toxic epidermal necrolysis, bullous and exfoliative dermatitis, renal disturbances;
- Very rarely – In rare cases – acute interstitial nephritis.
- Rarely – In rare cases, this antibiotic may develop fever, unusual side effects that are very rare – dizziness, headache, changes in the blood picture.
You will find more details on side effects of Amoxicillin at drugs.com.